Week Nineteen: MA Project

Updated: Aug 16


The process of printing my design would encounter a few obstacles. At first, I was directed to a local box printing company that seemed promising. This got me thinking about measurements and how big the box would be, how it would open up etc. It was at this point that I realised that I had come at this a bit backwards, as in reality, I would have to make a design according to the size of the box rather than having the design, to begin with, and then working out ways of creating a box that could accommodate that design. The measurements I had created were: width 90cm and height 60cm, as a flat piece of cardboard with the game design on, and I needed to make that into a box. I sketched ideas and built models in the process of deciding upon the best solution.


They also told me I'd only be allowed to print three colours, I was initially a little stumped by this, but it quickly became liberating. The colour possibilities to choose from could be endless and that dilemma had been taken away. Thankfully, I only really needed three colours:

  1. Green = land

  2. Blue = ocean, river and pond

  3. Yellow = beach

My partner also pointed out that not printing would also give me the colour brown from the cardboard, genius!


Deep Blue Box Company

Image: https://www.facebook.com/deepbluebox/photos/2642587779152917



Sketches and Models



Considering how the game and instructions would be laid out.

It was also at this point that I started to think about brands/products that would use my board game design on their packaging. I originally thought that school suppliers would use it on their boxes when delivering supplies such as textbooks or stationary etc, meaning the game would be delivered directly to a school. However, the idea for the game was to make it as accessible as possible. Then I remembered my local supermarket and how they'd stack boxes in a cage at the entrance/exit so customers could use them for their shopping. I decided to make up a brand of tinned pineapple (inspired by my local surf community) called, Wai'ao Tinned Pineapple. I didn't want to dwell on this part too much but I wanted to make the point that the design could be printed onto any box. Where it would end up might be a bit of a mystery, but hopefully, the design itself would attract curious minds.



The final box design that I decided on was practical, allowed space on the front for a brand's logo etc and meant the board game could wrap around the other three sides, ensuring that it would be in a good place to avoid damage during transportation.

This did mean that I had to reduce the size of the board game a fair bit but the size then became more realistic to most everyday boxes.


Box Template


Conclusion


Once I had sent measurements and design work to the box factory, I received a quote on price and minimum quantity that I couldn't afford. The original quote I received was more reasonable. However, I got an insight into packaging design and I now had a brand, a box and a board game! I just needed to find a way of putting them together and putting my research, theory, ideas and vision into a physical visualised response.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All